Here are some resources that may prove useful for competitors in the CYC Weather Challenge.
Big-picture weather resources
- Penn State E-Wall – One-stop shop for current and model data in map form.
- Weather data of all kinds from the College of DuPage – click on ‘weather analysis tools’
- List of national resources from the WXChallenge (on which we modeled this CYC Weather Challenge). This includes links to national surface data, upper air data, radar data, and model data. Much is applicable everywhere, but some resources are targeted to the cities for the university Weather Challenge.
- Weather Prediction Center – NWS
- Storm Prediction Center – NWS
- METAR Data (hourly weather observations) for airports around the country
- Real-time satellite imagery from the University of Wisconsin SSEC
- Current MOS (Model Output Statistics) forecasts.
- EKDMOS Meteograms – MOS forecasts based on ensemble mean forecast of the NAEFS
- Surface forecast charts from the Aviation Weather Center
Resources for Chicago – O’Hare (KORD)
- NWS Chicago Office (actually located in Joliet).
- METAR (observation) data for KORD – (current) (past 24 hours). Learn to read a METAR report.
Resources for Providence (KPVD)
- To come
Resources for Miami (KMIA)
- To come